February 27, 2007

A WABI-SABI HOME AND GARDEN

A DENT IN MY NEWLY INSTALLED COPPER SINK.
COULD YOU LIVE WITH THIS ? IF SO, YOU'RE
VERY " WABI-SABI" LIKE ME. GIVES IT A
KIND OF CHARACTER DOESN'T IT ?


First it was the Chinese Feng Shui, and now the Japanese rule with Wabi-Sabi . Wabi-what ? Feng Shui is all about perfection in a harmonious environment, while Wabi-Sabi is more to do with how you accept your environment, imperfections and all. It's about things with a timeworn beauty and appreciating things that may have flaws, like yours truly. I'm a wabi-sabi kinda gal . We have a similar saying down South, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it. " We're not inclined to throw anything away just because it has a nick or scratch. Heck, that's what adds character. And, if you keep it long enough, it becomes an antique, with character.

I was going to re-finish my old wood floors but the floor finisher told me that he was being paid to beat the heck out of new floors to try and give them an aged look just like mine. I reckon I saved myself a couple of thousand right there.

My hubby Simon swears that nothing in our century-old house is square and the solid plaster walls get cracks now and then. The stairs squeak but I figure that's good for knowing who's coming and going. The original wood windows are not air-tight or perfect., but I refuse to do those vinyl replacement ones. Our old house has charm that no builder today can duplicate. The solid quarter-sawn oak floors have an aged patina and show the use of a generation of people walking on it.

Wabi-Sabi is not about accumulating a lot of stuff, it's about simplifying your life with things that are natural and earthy, cherished family pieces or flea market finds. It's the exact opposite of perfectionism and materialism.

It's about what feels comfortable and right to you. So clean the clutter , get some earth toned organic stuff, acquire some handmade things, bring out the family heirlooms and keep that worn out old chest with a nick in it.

Whew ! I'm glad Feng Shui is passe. It really stresses me out to try to be perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for leaving a note on my blog -- I love to know there are more chicago gardeners out there.

    And I like this Wabi-Sabi idea, as well as the copper apron front sin (even with the dent!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...