July 31, 2007

TAKING ON A CORPORATE GIANT




Welcome to Walgreens !?

This Walgreen Pharmacy is just around the corner from my house. It's not as if we live in a rundown slum, it is one of the best neighborhoods on the northside . When it first opened about 7 years ago, Walgreen's was beautifully landscaped with trees and shrubs. Over the years it was neglected and has fallen into ruin, as evidenced in the above photo.

Last year I contacted our Alderman and all of the Managers of the businesses in the strip mall - Walgreens, Staples, Blockbuster, etc. about their unkempt property. No response. Then, I contacted the headquarters of Walgreens in the Chicago suburbs. One year has passed and I've yet to hear anything.

The fact of the matter is that Walgreen's rents its space and that the landlord is really responsible for landscaping and maintenance, however, they've not even tried to get him to do it.

I can't forget this matter since I have to look at it everyday and everytime I pass it I cringe. I shot the photos above yesterday and sent off another email to Walgreen's.

I wonder if I'll ever hear from them . They are making plenty of money off the people in our community but they could care less what their frontyard looks like.

This time they've got " my Irish up " and I am determined to see this situation to the end. More on the results later.

7 comments:

  1. i wonder what would happen if you just got together a bunch of friends and went to plant stuff there yourself. i mean im sure you could think of better places to do charitable gardening, but I'm just curious what they'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! I am so sick of these business's moving into town, hiring landscapers(and I use that term loosely)from out of town, to landscape the property, and then they don't do another thing to it. I hope you are able to get them to clean it up. If the letter doesn't work, try writing one to your local newspaper, they won't like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina,

    I'd plant it in a New York minute if I thought it would survive. There's no fence , as required by law, surrounding the public parkway and people tramped down the shrubs that used to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Vonlafin,

    We call them "landscrapers." I will try your suggestion if that doesn't work - maybe the local media might have a slow news day and want to stir up some interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be right there with you, Carolyn. This is a pet peeve of mine as well.

    I used to be a Secret Shopper and one of the businesses I had to critique was the USPS. Included on the form I was required to fill out was a section on appearance, including landscaping. Perhaps Walgreen's could take a lesson and then DO something about it. But I guess that means they'd have to really CARE first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always aghast at the poor conditioning of "landscapes" around businesses. If they only knew what a turn off that is for their customers, and probably for the people who work there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're absolutely right, Carol. That's why I'm letting them know what a " turn off " it is for their customers to walk past such a dispicable front yard everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...