April 13, 2010

Lois Lutz, Aaron's Beard and a Bachelor


Hypericum caly.  ( Aaron's Beard )  ' Brigadoom '


Centaurea montana ' gold bullion '




Primula  'lois lutz'


Saturday and Sunday was Spring Open House at Gethsemane Garden Center where I work in the Tree and Shrub department. Of course I snuck over to perennials to see what I didn't need but wanted nevertheless.  I'm trying to get more pizazz in my front garden and the three bright beauties above caught my eye.

The great thing about the foliage of the Hypericum or St. John's wort and the Bachelor's button is that their chartruese color is effective  all season ,  long after the bloom is gone.  Love the blue of the Bachelor's Button.

The primrose, Lois Lutz, is a new hybrid that promises to be among the heartiest and most adaptable. I love primroses but they are marginal at best in Chicago.  I'm hoping this one will make it and spread it's beauty around the garden.

Meanwhile Spring has been an unusual one this year -normal temps in the 50's, then up to 70 and 80, and back to the norm so it's messing with the plants.  I'm just crossing my fingers that it won't take a nose dive and freeze all the plants that have emerged from their long winter's sleep.










Written by Carolyngail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago
All rights reserved

4 comments:

  1. I spent considerable time removing my gorgeous ground covering hypericum calycinum, but mine wasn't the chartreuse. Snakes liked to take up residence underneath mine because it was growing around the waterfall--perfect cover to catch frogs and birds. So now I'm using creeping gold Jenny. It's low enough to not hide any predators.

    I love the centaurea and primrose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Carolyn,

    I was at Home Depot the other day and it is packed with everything one would buy for summer plantings. People were buying impatiens, sweet potato vine, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I was hoping they weren't going to put them outside yet!

    That new primrose would interest me - haven't had luck with them either.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here in Nova Scotia, our weather seems to be doing exactly what yours is doing without the high eighties though)))). I am very much appreciating finding out what is blooming and growing in Chicago through visiting your blog. Primroses are one of my very favorite plants. They can be fussy, but there are so many interesting varieties!! Seduction))) Although I have never the windy city, I do plan to be there later this year. Thanks Carolyn for taking such good photos and sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your concerns over the temps this year! I'm really getting into primrose the last year or so... I just love the look in the spring! Many were given to me by a friend so I don't know their names, but they have been hardy for a few years for me Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...