February 7, 2007

WINTER IS THE ONLY TIME I HAVE FOR READING AND PAINTING


The UFO on the left is a digitally altered photo I did of a persimmon ripening on my window sill. Got a lot of time on my hands.


Garden Quote : What a desolate place would be a world without flowers ! It would be a face without a smile, a feast without a welcome. -Clara Balfour

I grow very nostalgic for the sunny South in Winter and turn to books to relieve my yearnings . I'm a big fan of Fannie Flagg, author of Fried Green Tomatoes and have just read her book, Standing in the Rainbow. It's very entertaining and I highly recommend it.

I have another book that I am re-visiting because I liked it so much when I was younger : A Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers. Fantastic book that was made into a movie . And for goodness sake if you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird by my fellow Alabamian, Harper Lee, well then , you must because it is proclaimed far and wide as one of the best novels of all time. Plus, the character Scout reminds me of myself .

So there Oprah, you've got your book club and I've got mine. Think I'll call it Carolyn's Choice.

1 comment:

  1. As another transplanted southerly gardener, I enjoy your comments about growing "out of zone"--and what gardener doesn't love a character, like Scout, who is decked out as a yam?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...