May 31, 2007

THE GRAND DAME OF AZALEAS

Karen is the shrub on the right of the entrance



Close Up of What's Left of Karen's Blooms


Just missed the show by a week

I was a week late in visiting a client's garden in Evanston and missed the show of my favorite azalea 'Karen' , the focal point of her front entrance.

A Gable hybrid, Karen blooms around the middle of May in the Chicagoland area and is hardy to zone 4. Observe it's arching habit. The 'Karen' above is mature at 4 x 4 feet. It is absolutely breath-taking when in bloom.

Like myself. Robin over at Robins Nesting Place has a passion for Azaleas because they are so prolific in our home state Alabama. Folks in Chicago tell me that they have trouble growing Azaleas and Rhododendrons and that's when I tell them to try those like Karen which are hardy to Zone 4.

Robin, here's the azalea of your dreams ! You must get a Karen.


2 comments:

  1. I'm in zone 5. How I would love an azalea like that. We have hardy azaleas but I just can't keep them, although others do. And I certainly have never seen anything like Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Zone Fiver, you can have one. The trick is location and planting. Azaleas seem to like a north or northeast exposure with morning sun and lighter afternoon shade. And when planting them, mix in a lot of organic matter such as compost and an acid soil conditioner such as Black Forest.

    Karen is, I must say, the most spectacular Azalea I've ever seen in bloom.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...