April 26, 2010

THE SWEET SMELL OF SPICE IS IN THE AIR



 I planted Viburnum Carlesii , aka, Korean Spice, last year and now its beautiful pink and white blossoms are filling the air with their heady fragrance.  If I didn't know better I would say it was Jasmine.








This is one of the most sought after shrubs at the garden center where I work.   It is one of the earliest blooming viburnums as well, and more compact than most of the genus.  If you have 5 to 6 feet of space and love fragrance and beautiful blooms, this is the shrub for you.

 



Written by Carolyngail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago All rights reserved

4 comments:

  1. I really like Viburnums, I have 4 types (Lantana, Shasta Doublefile, Burkwoodii, Dentatum), but unfortunately none of them are fragrant. I'd love to add this one to my "collection" because I'm beginning to value frangrance in the garden more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the Korean Spice viburnum. I have two of them. They are so fragrant, they compete with the early blooming lilacs. I also like how the buds start out pink and then open white. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Carolyn. I have Carlesi Compactum and sometimes I have to turn around when I go out the front door to see where that glorious odor is coming from. It is a winner!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice post, Caroline. It seems as though I might have caught a waft of something very pleasant as I scrolled past your photograph. ;-) I have 'Burkwoodii' right in front of the house and I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...