February 15, 2011

A Flower to Greet You





A Flower is given the center of attention in the Entrance

This century-old solid oak glass panelled door is the entrance to Sweet Home Chicago.  When I first moved in many moons ago the usual lace curtain hung over the glass and hid the true beauty of the door.  Now a flower centered in the faux stained glass panel will greet visitors when they arrive.    The circle around the flower is left clear which is why you see no color there.  The faux stained glass provides privacy but allows in light as well.

I agree that its hard to beat an original but my home has only one.  It was in bad condition, but given its age it was to be expected ,  so we had it restored.



 I copied borrowed some of its pattern in my faux stained glass window.  As you can see flowers and plants were a popular motif for these early American craftsmen.
 If you'd like to create a faux stained glass window , acrylic paint , made especially for glass makes it an easier project.  It is time consuming but as the paint is water soluble any mistakes can be washed or scraped off  if you don't like the finished product.

Meanwhile over in the indoor garden the roses are in bloom .




To see what's blooming across the USA visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens , the creator of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.



13 comments:

  1. Carolyn, your 'stained glass' is beautiful. I do real stained glass, but a friend of mine wants to paint her windows too, so I am going to make sure she sees your post. Happy GBBD, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them both, the original and the faux! One of the pleasures of visiting Chicago is all the architectural details, in every neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell in love with your faux stained glass at Spring Fling Carolyn - beautiful! Love the mini-rose too. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Linda, I scraped the one you saw off and re-did it. I like this one better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new door panel is lovely, Carolyn! I love the stained glass in old homes, but unfortunately, they don't last forever; this is a beautiful alternative.

    A belated Happy Blogaversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your door, Carolyn. We have some beveled glass in ours that makes a big difference letting light in. Love the rose too! Won't spring just get here already??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see your stained glass photos from snowy IL. I am in snow-covered Pennsylvania, but the temperature suddenly shot up and I managed to find some flowers outside. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stained glass is a favorite. I have had it some form in each of my homes. We have some old pieces, but immediately had some new ones made for a few windows in my present home.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carolyn, Happy GBBD! I like your faux stained glass. Your indoor rose is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for stopping by and leaving your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful way to make that door shine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That door looks very beautiful! and so does your roses

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I love the craftsman style and your window and door are beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...