May 24, 2011

The 7 Year Wonder


Seven years in the making , Wisteria chinensis has finally arrived in  full glory.  Time to break out the bubbly !   If you've had a wisteria for a long time and it hasn't bloomed you can try my method.  First root prune it - take a shovel and chop the roots to within a half foot of the crown or trunk, sprinkle a high phosphate fertilizer around it and water it in.

And of course as you are leaving you might say something like " Bloom damn it or it's off with your head ! " 




Written by Carolyngail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago All rights reserved

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is beautiful! You might want to patent your method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had two wisteria's for over eleven years now and I have tried so many tricks to get it to bloom, even threats of "this is your last year to bloom or I am chopping you down" .LOL! I will try the shovel and fertilizer suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think the blooming of your wisteria is reason for celebration! I can't even remember when our wisteria last bloomed. We have tried everything from taking off its head to just ignorning it...maybe we need to try your version of tough love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...