January 26, 2009

BERRY GOOD NEWS


Vaccinium


No doubt you've heard that blueberries are a "super food " shown to be effective in anti-aging, cancer prevention, heart and vision problems, urinary tract, stroke prevention, longevity, and stress.

A few days ago it was announced that the latest research at Ohio State University found that a blueberry extract fed to mice with blood vessel tumors shrunk the size of the tumors and improved survival rates. These tumors are the most common found in infants and can be disfiguring and in some threaten the health of the child.

And, the mice that ate the extract lived twice as long as those that didn't and had tumors 60 per cent smaller.

This is the first research providing evidence that blueberry extract limits tumor formation by inhibiting the blood vessels and certain pathways. Researchers hope to be able to feed blueberry juice to children with this kind of tumor because surgery is generally avoided because it could cause patients to bleed to death.

This research could have great implication in other cancers such as breast, melanoma, and ovarian and more research will be done on this treatment.

Among fruits I've always been partial to berries of all kinds . My father wouldn't allow me in the strawberry patch because I ate more than I picked. I'm definitely looking around for a space to plant a small blueberry bush ( or 2 -I think they need a pollinator ) this coming Spring.

It's also a good idea to add some blueberries to your morning cereal or as a healthy snack.

15 comments:

  1. We love blueberries around here. My oldest daughter (3) has eaten them for a long time. It's her favorite fruit. Easy to prepare for kids too. Just wash and serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also take acidic soil... and that's something that can be achieved with just a little effort. :-) Good news, as we love blueberries here!! Thanks for the update, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about blueberries being good for us, but never went into the details. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn Gail, yum to the blueberries and we are glad they are available year around at the stores here. Five bushes have been planted, you do need at least two different kinds to cross pollinate, they need to bloom at the same times too.
    Hope your get off to a good start, our drought has not been kind to ours but they are still alive so there is hope.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, I'm always curious; do you prefer highbush or lowbush (wild) blueberries? Both have good antioxidant properties, but some prefer one over the other. I never met a blueberry I didn't love, and happily, we have lots of both here, as they're ideally suited to our acid soil. There's a LOT of research on blueberries going on here at our government research stations and elsewhere, and it's nice to know that something this delicious is also good for us. And we had blueberry pancakes for supper; I freeze 20 pounds of highbush and ten pounds of wild each year, and we go through them. MMMMMMm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you blueberry lovers. Haven't tried growing blueberries before but I've been told they're rather easy so I thought I'd try to find a spot in my tiny urban garden. I may end up growing them in containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the very best thing about blueberries? They actually taste GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I eat my weight in blueberries ... love 'em! Isn't it wonderful something that tastes so good is also good for you. Oh happy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blueberries are wonderful. We eat a lot in season, from our own highbush patch, and from the lowbush fields on the other side of our little hill town. And they are so easy to pop into the freezer, for good health all winter long. Do I ever get tired of blueberry crisp? No!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news for all of us blueberry lovers! My neighbors have a row of lowbush blueberry bushes. Last summer they went on vacation for about ten days just as the blueberries were ready. They gave us free rein of the garden and we had a feast. We are zone 4-5 here in Madison so I am guessing you shouldn't have any problems there. Not sure if they are amending the soil in any way. The bushes are at the edge of a massive old vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blueberries and that is a gorgeous piece of artwork depicting them! This morning read has sent me to the refrigerator for some blueberries for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blueberries! Eating them with fruit is perfect and this is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blueberries too Carolyn, and it's great knowing they're so good for us. I hope you find the perfect blueberries for your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gail,
    Thanks for this great information. I've always heard what good things blueberries and other berries can provide for us. I, like you, am partial to all sorts. I've just recently planted 3 in my garden. They are starter plants so I am not sure how much they will produce this year. It is my first experience with them. I did get 3 for cross pollination. They take up lots of space, too.
    Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolyn, blueberries are among our favorite berries. I knew they were good for you, but not this good. We have usually had them only when they are in season, but now with this info, maybe we need to add some frozen ones to our diet.

    Jan
    Always Growing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...