August 20, 2007

WHAT TO DO WHEN IT'S RAINING ALL DAY


Korean style " Om Rice "


The Chicago Air and Water Show was rained out on Sunday. Mother Nature's been having her own water show for the past two days. We must've had 4 or more inches of rain. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Since I'm not able to get out in the garden my thoughts turn to cooking. When I have lots of veggies and meat leftovers I chop everything up into small pieces and stir-fry it in a few spoonfuls of vegetable oil . I then add 1 cup of cold rice per person ( cooked short grained ) blend all ingredients well and cook for about five minutes. I then season it with black pepper, a little light soy sauce and sesame oil and stir fry a few minutes more.

I crack about 3 eggs, mix with a little water, and pour in a thin layer in a non stick frying pan to make an omelet ( some older Koreans can't say omelet so they shortened it to om ! ) . Arrange the fried rice on a plate and invert the pan . Position the omelet over the rice and top it with a little ketchup for sauce. I usually draw a silly happy face with the ketchup.

Everyone is sure to love this dish.


2 comments:

  1. You will be terribly proud of Mike. On your advice, at least, on what he read on your post, he ordered Growing Up in a Korean Kitchen and another cookbook. He said he was glad of your suggestion, as he didn't know what to pick. That was a lovely surprise. Of course, he requests that I master Korean bbq first. I'll let you know when I get round to a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really proud of Mike and the fact that he is ordering my recommended cookbook and one other will be to his great satisfaction later on.

    Korean BBQ rules ! I once was cooking some when we were first married and lived in an apartment and a Korean woman from the end of our block mosied on down, following her nose of course, and much to her surprise saw this Southern transplant BBQing Bulgogi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...